Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Blog #10-Chapters 13&14

"Then I run again, blindly, into the dark streets." -page 123

I chose this sentence because I noticed that both the two chapters we read tonight ended with Nadira running. Chapter 13 ended with "For the first time I feel like I can run, fast. And I run all the way to the bus." (page 119). The interesting thing between these two sentences is that Nadira is running, but for completely different reasons. 

In chapter 13, Nadira finds out that her father is going to a hearing.  Nadira thinks she found a way to get Abba released for sure. She seems to be pretty confident that her plan will work, and she calls a few people to get things worked out. I wasn't really sure what was in store for Nadira when she decided to use Tareq's help. He seemed like he knew what he was doing, but I felt that he wasn't to be trusted. I also couldn't believe that Nadira was using the money Abba saved for Aisha and Nadira to attend college. It seemed wrong to me that Nadira was lying to Ali-Uncle about that, but I felt that she was desperate to do something. After getting the money, she ran to Dunkin' Donuts so she could finish her plan. As stated in the book, Nadira felt strong and solid. She was sure of what she was doing. 

Chapter 14 was pretty different. Nadira is with Tareq, and they are at a house. Nadira is getting Abba someone else's social security number. I didn't think it was really safe of Nadira to do this because if her family was caught, they would be the ones blamed and they could get into even more trouble than they are in now. Nadira then has second thoughts about what she is about to do. I think that she did the right thing to leave because she didn't know what she was getting herself into.  It was smart of her to stand up to Tareq and tell him that she didn't want to follow through her plan anymore. She left the house, running into the dark streets. She has no idea where she is going and what might happen if someone saw her. She's all alone in a strange place, not very confident or sure about herself. 

It was interesting to see how Marina Budhos ended both of these pretty important chapters the same way, but in a different context. I wonder if running is going to be a recurring theme throughout the last few chapters of the book.

14 comments:

  1. I hadn't noticed that. Jeezm there seems a theme in all the books we've been reading. The theme is themes!! (sorry, there was no chance of me resisting the the temptation to make that dorky comment) in across a hundred mountains, the theme was the moon. here the predominate theme is water, but you've definitely got a point there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't noticed that either! There is a ton of themes in this book. I mean, family, water, and so much more. Great points and very detailed diablog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made some good points Puja. I like how you commented on both chapter 13 and 14! I didn't notice the running thing before, but do you think that is of importance or not?

    -jena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Puja,
    You made some really, really good points in your blog. You did a great job of commenting on both chapters 13 and 14. I also agree there are lots of themes in this book, most of which are from Across A Hundred Mountains.
    Ex:
    *Water
    *Family
    *Father
    *Immigration
    *And more
    Great points and observations I look forward to reading more on what you think.
    <3,
    Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Points,

    I also wondered if running will be a recurring theme in the book, but I guess we will have to continue reading to find out. Also like Celeste, everyone else who commented and you said that they're are a lot of themes just like in Across a Hundred Mountains. I'm noticing that wherever you come from people face similar challenges to come to North America for a better lifetime. GREAT!

    ~DaVaughn

    ReplyDelete
  6. DaVaughn That's a really good way of putting it! "I'm noticing that wherever you come from people face similar challenges to come to North America for a better lifetime." Thats great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all your opinions guys! Like Celeste said, that was a great way of putting it DaVaughn. I think a lot of people come here to the US (and Canada) because they have somewhat been promised of having a better life...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome blog Puja! Great connections with running-I didn’t spot that. Maybe it will become of importance later in the book. You said that Nadira felt very confident with her plan. Actually, after our discussion during class, I believe Nadira made a brilliant plan, but immediately second-guessed herself, and instead called Tareq. “What if it doesn’t work? What if they don’t care about my great big discovery? Maybe I have to do something else—something bigger, guaranteed to save Abba.” (page 117) I think she second-guessed herself and was worried that no one would care about her plan or if it would work. She then immediately called Tareq, and at the time she thought it was “guaranteed” to save Abba…This chapter was very fast paced, and decisions were made fast too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah. You all have noticed some themes that I never noticed before! Like when Celeste listed "father" she was right! I never noticed that both AAHM and AMNQ had the daughter losing their father and then going to go save him. I also made the connection of the fact that in both books, both daughter characters lost a sibling in some sort of way. Juana because her brother was stolen fro her and Nadira because Aisha is not who she used to be anymore (Aisha lost her mind). I never really thought about it that way before but now I do.
    good job with commenting on both chapters... I know I didn't do that...:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. you made some really good points puja. I agree running seems like it could be a theme. Everything she wants she runs towards and what she doesn't like or is scared of she runs away from.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snap! Long Blog! I really liked what Falcon said (again), and I think you made a bunch of really good points. I really liked what you said about her self confidence getting in the way. again.
    Great B(log)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one long awesome blog! those were really good points you made. I noticed the different themes too. I also noticed that in the beginning, she's also running. Even though she's with her family, they're running away from America. That's cool! I like the themes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. really awesome connections between the running in the different chapters, like Falcon said.
    i really liked this log
    great job!
    ~ari

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post and these comments (thanks to Celeste for the list, and Falcon for making the connection to class discussion) raise a very interesting question:

    What, exactly, is a theme? How do we identify a theme in a book, and most importantly, WHY do we bother? What do we want to learn by looking for themes?

    ReplyDelete