Thursday, March 26, 2009

Blog #13-Chapters 17&18

"Because for all those years, my Abba-all of us-believed. They let us in, and they let us believe that we belonged. That we could hope for a future here. That one day I could go to college and carry on. And then they took that hope away. They broke my father's heart. And they broke mine too."-page 152

I am so glad that Aisha finally spoke out. She told everyone the truth, and she asked them to accept her for who she is and who her family is. What she says it true as well. People all think that they can come to the United States and have a better life and have more opportunities. To me it seems that the overall feeling outsiders have about the country seems to be a little too hyped. Once all these immigrants come to live here and are comfortable, the government comes and realizes that they don't want more people in the country and throw them out. They disrupt people's lives and make it really hard for them.

I think that Aisha did the right thing by telling people about their situation. It's like clearing up all of the lies that they have been living in, only it still doesn't make up for the lies she said earlier. I think that people will really understand her now and they will realize what a hard life Nadira and Aisha have had. I think, however, that it might have been more satisfying for the reader if Nadira was the one who said it. It sends a whole different message to the audience and I feel that it might have been more powerful. In the beginning of the book, we already expected Aisha to do a lot of public speaking. Nadira was the quiet one, and it would have shown how much Nadira changed if she was the one who told the whole story. 

Overall though, I think the book ended in a good way. It wasn't extremely realistic, but oh well. I really like blogging too! It was great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment